Cass County – Plattsmouth
Douglas County – Omaha
In March 1857 the City of Omaha built a jail and courthouse in an area known as Washington Square. It bounded by 15th, 16th, Douglas and Farnam streets. The original courthouse in Douglas County, was opened January 4, 1858. The original building was found to be too small as early as 1869. The current site, a block between 17th, 18th, Farnam and Harney Streets, became available in 1878, and in 1879, a jail was built on the southwest corner of this lot. A completely new Douglas County Courthouse was opened on May 28, 1885. John Latenser, a locally important architect, was hired to design a replacement building in 1908. It opened October 1, 1912. Built south of the old courthouse, the new building is six stories tall along Harney Street and five stories along Farnam. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Fillmore County – Geneva
The Fillmore County Courthouse in Geneva was built in 1892 by L. F. Pardue for a cost of $46,176.55, and designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by architect George E. McDonald. It was partly modeled after the Gage County Courthouse. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Gage County – Beatrice
The first Gage County Courthouse was built in Beatrice around 1870 and was used until 1879. The current Gage County Courthouse was built from 1890 until 1892 in a Richardsonian Romanesque architectural style. The building was designed by Gunn and Curtiss (Frederick C. Gunn and Louis Singleton Curtiss) and M.T. Murphy was the building contractor. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Jefferson County – Fairbury
The Jefferson County Courthouse in Fairbury is the third building to house the courthouse; a first courthouse was built in 1873, and it was relocated to the opera house in 1882. The current courthouse was built in 1890. It was designed by architect J. C. Holland in the Romanesque Revival style. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1972.
Johnson County – Tecumseh
The Johnson County Courthouse in Tecumseh was built during 1888–89. Designed by William Gray with Romanesque Revival architecture stylings. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Lancaster County – Lincoln
Nemaha County – Auburn
The Nemaha County Courthouse in Auburn was built by W. M. Rowles & Company in 1899, and designed in the Romanesque Revival style by German-born architect George A. Berlinghof. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1990.
Otoe County – Nebraska City
The Otoe County Courthouse in Nebraska City was built in 1865 with additions made in 1882 and 1936. The building contains both the Nebraska City Court and the Otoe County Court along with the government and law enforcement offices of both. The building sits at 1021 Central Avenue. The original courthouse, a simple two-story building, was built in 1865 by William R. Craig and F. W. Wood, costing $22,500 at the time. The first addition was completed in 1882. This added a large wing to the square building where the courts and department offices are today. In 1936, an identical wing was added with similar purposes. A mural outside the courtrooms shows the history of Nebraska City and of the courthouse. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and the oldest public building in the state of Nebraska.
Pawnee County – Pawnee City
The first Pawnee County Courthouse was first built in 1868 by Curtix and Peavy with an addition built on in 1878. The current Pawnee County Courthouse in Pawnee City was built in 1911. It was designed by architect William F. Gernandt in Classical Revival style. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Richardson County – Falls City
The first Richardson County Courthouse was built in 1872 with additions in 1882 and 1894. The current Richardson County Courthouse in Falls City was built in 1923–1925. It was designed by architect William F. Gernandt in the Classical Revival style. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Saline County – Wilber
The current Saline County Courthouse in Wilber is the second county courthouse built in Wilber; the first courthouse was built in 1878. The current courthouse was built in 1927, with Bedford limestone. It was designed by architect Marcus L. Evans in the Classical Revival style and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Sarpy County – Papillion
The Fontenelle Bank in Bellevue was built with bricks in 1856, and the facade was designed in the Greek Revival style, with pilasters, and the Italianate style. It housed the Fontenelle Bank in 1856–1857, and it was the first Sarpy County Courthouse from 1861 to 1875, followed by Bellevue’s town hall until 1959. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1969.
The Third Sarpy County Courthouse in Papillion and the former courthouse of Sarpy County. It was built by John L. Soderberg in 1922–1923, and designed in the Classical Revival style by architect William F. Gernandt. Two other courthouses had been built for the county prior to this one: the first one was the Fontenelle Bank in Bellevue, followed by a second one in Papillion. A fourth courthouse replaced this building in 1974, and it became a city hall and public library. It (3rd) has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1990.
Saunders County – Wahoo
The Saunders County Courthouse in Wahoo was built in 1904; designed in the Renaissance Revival style by Fisher & Lawrie, an architectural firm based in Omaha. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1990.
Seward County – Seward
The Seward County Courthouse in Seward was built in 1905-1907 on a farm formerly owned by Lewis Moffitt, the founder of Seward. It was designed in the Classical Revival style by architect George A. Berlinghof. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1990.
Thayer County – Hebron
The Thayer County Courthouse in Hebron was constructed in 1901 and sustained more than $70,000 damage in the 1953 tornado which resulted in the remodeling of the building removing the upper tower portion of the roof.
York County – York
- Sources: Wikipedia.com, Courthousehistory.com, Creative Commons, National Register of Historic Places
CZECH DAYS are just around the corner! Enjoy our footage of the 2021 Wilber-Clatonia Czach Days Alumni Band!
Battles of Freedom: The Life and Times of John Henry Kagi & the Unfortunate Fate of the Mayhew Cabin & John Brown Cave – Nebraska City
A new book has been published by Cathleen M. Van Winkle, President of the Board of the the Mayhew Foundation, called “The Battle for Freedom: The Life and Times of John Henry Kagi”.
The Center Sicily School – District #23 was used from 1886-1958 in South Gage County.